Providers on an Autism Therapy Team

Providers on Soar’s Integrated Autism Care Team

Care for young children with autism often involves several different types of providers. In an integrated care model, like Soar’s, there are five types of providers you may come across. This video offers a snapshot of each provider’s role.

Who are the types of providers on your child’s autism care team?

Across the different evidence-based modalities for autism care, you’ll encounter a wide variety of clinicians. Here are the most common providers and the different roles they play on your child’s care team:

Dimension Common Abbreviation What they do Background/ Education Additional details
Board-Certified Behavior Analyst BCBA Supervise clinical care plans for children with autism


Typically oversee a team of RBTs (see below) and provide direct therapy to children


Provide family treatment guidance to caregivers to support generalization from therapy environment

Typically a Master’s degree, sometimes a doctorate (called a BCBA-D)


Extensive training in principles of ABA and development of care plans for children with autism


Completion of supervised practicum experience by a BCBA


Must pass a certification exam from the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) and maintain certification requirements

Certified in naturalistic models of ABA (e.g., ESDM) typically requires additional training and supervision
Registered Behavior Technician RBT Work under the supervision of a BCBA


Work 1:1 with a child with autism based on a BCBA’s care plan, carrying out the principles of ABA

Minimum requirements are a high-school diploma, completion of 40- hour training, and a passing score on both a competency assessment and BACB RBT exam Some providers also require additional background or experience for RBTs (e.g., a college degree)



Supervision from a BCBA is required to maintain certification

Speech-Language Pathologist SLP Help children with autism develop communication and socialization skills


Help with assistive communication devices like AAC (augmentative and alternative communication)

Typically a Master’s degree from an accredited program, sometimes a doctorate


Must pass a credentialing and licensing exam

Occupational Therapist OT Help children with autism improve sensory processing and support self-care and daily living skills (e.g., getting dressed)


Can assist with fine motor and gross motor delays

Typically a Master’s degree from an accredited program, sometimes a doctorate


Must pass a credentialing and licensing exam

Psychologist Diagnose children with autism using common assessments (e.g., ADOS-2)


Provide therapy services to children, parents, and siblings

Typically a doctorate (PhD)


Must pass a licensing exam

Developmental Behavioral Pediatrician, or Pediatric Neurologist DBP Physicians with specialty training in the diagnosis and management of children with developmental delays, including medication if indicated Medical degree (MD), residency training, and fellowship training in developmental pediatrics (for DBPs)

At Soar Autism Center we offer these providers under one roof on an integrated, coordinated team that works together for your child.

Overview of the Early Start Denver Model (ESDM)
Integrated Autism Care


Soar Autism Center

Reach out today